When you think of snacking, you generally don’t think of it as being particularly healthy…..but below I’ve listed my favourite snacks so you can graze without guilt too!
1. Popcorn – rather than the ready sweetened stuff, look for a natural popcorn and add a sprinkling of cinnamon, light hot chocolate powder or even chilli powder!
2. Nuts – my favourite are almonds! Other highly nutritious nuts are cashews, pistachios and walnuts.
3. Berries – if you’re a fruit fiend, try to stay away from too many high GI fruits like bananas, mangoes and pineapple (that’s not to say never eat them!) and turn to low GI fruits like berries, grapefruit and watermelon. Try to avoid dried fruits – more sugar, less nutrients!
4. Dark chocolate – I recently did a review on my favourite healthy dark chocolate! It’s so rich, you don’t need to eat a lot to satisfy your sweet tooth!
5. Protein Shake – I love my Protein World Chocolate Slender Blend shakes so much, if I’m craving something sweet I’ll make myself a little shake with almond milk!
7. Baked chickpeas – my specialty recipe for baked chickpeas: drain and dry a tin of chickpeas, spread over a baking tray, sprinkle with seasoning (I like Piri Piri!), bake for 20 minutes, turn and sprinkle with more seasoning, bake for a further 20 minutes or until crunchy – SO DELICIOUS!
8. Yoghurt – I love Fage 0% Total Yoghurt – it’s low sugar and very high in protein. I typically mix this in with some peanut butter, crushed raspberries or even chocolate protein powder!
9. Hummus and Avocado – together, apart, on Ryvita, with vegetable sticks, it’s all great! I love sliced avocado on hummus on a Cracked Black Pepper Ryvita Crispbread.
10. Edamame Beans – yum! These are such a fab snack! Fresh is best, sprinkled with a little salt and/or chilli.
11. Protein Balls – I made the most delicious protein balls and posted the recipe to my Instagram, follow THIS LINK to check them out!
So if you’re off to the shops today to do a food shop, steer clear off the biscuits and crisp aisle and try to prep some of these healthier snacks instead.